Known initially as Pleasant Valley, this hamlet was originally settled by Quaker families including the Widdifields, Tooles, Willsons, Lundys and Starrs. The property on the northeast corner of Woodbine Avenue and Vivian Road was known as Pleasant House or Pleasantville Corner. In the 1890s, William Widdifield operated a blacksmith shop here. A post office was opened in Pleasant House in 1908 and lasted until 1914. The community was greatly affected by Woodbine Avenue’s development into a highway in the 1940s.